Monday, August 29, 2011

Happy B'day, Favorite Son!

From before he was born, Jeffrey has always been the kid closest to my heart.  You see, his long, lanky 8 1/2 lb. body was crammed under my rib cage so high that I still had bruised ribs for days after he was extracted via C-section 45 years ago.  At that time, any C-section baby was placed in the neonatal unit for the first day or two.  Also at that time, C-section mothers were given significant quantities of pain medication.  In my doped-up state, I cried as I first viewed Jeff (all 8 1/2 pounds) as he lay among those preemies.  In my foggy brain, those long arms conjured primate images for tree swinging instead of the foretelling of the handsome 6' 1'' man he would become.  Over the years, those long arms have wielded baseball bats, basketballs, tennis racquets, hockey sticks, fishing rods, woodworking tools, and hoisted over his head two adored sons...and there is still nothing better than a hug in those arms of My Favorite Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment